Sweater goes on (De)Tour without Owner

Recently, while in Olympia, Washington, I took advantage of a great post-Christmas sale. Most of my purchases came home with me, but the jacket featured below, had to be ordered from the other side of the US. I still had 10 days left in my visit and since the company used Fed Ex, I thought I might have the jacket before I left to go back home to Vancouver Island.

I was looking forward to receiving this cuddly sweater-jacket with the hoodie lining that felt like a Gund stuffed animal, SO soft! On Dec. 28, 2015, I was given a tracking number and followed its journey from the state of Georgia, or maybe it was South Carolina, across the country. Four days later, in Cheyenne, Wyoming, the sweater stopped for a rest. It seems the weather was more than it could handle. It was advised not to travel while extreme flooding and mud slides cut off highways. So it rested in Cheyenne for several days. The weather improved but the sweater stayed put. Cheyenne, Wyoming must be a wonderful place because the sweater didn’t want to leave there for nearly a week.

At last it was told to either buy a house and settle down, or move on. It moved on and was very close to Olympia the day before I had to leave to go home. When it arrived, just hours after I had to leave without it, my sister-in-law graciously agreed to mail it to me. I had left her some money to cover her costs – I thought!

003

She went to the nearest postal outlet to mail it and was told the postage would cost her $60. I had only paid about half that (on sale) for the sweater. The postal workers tried to be helpful and suggested repackaging it. Still, it would cost $45. At another postal outlet, they told my sister-in-law it would cost $22. At this point she decided to pay it for the parcel’s eight-hour trip to my house.

And now, the sweater must have had a hissy-fit. It left for another tour of the continent, without me in it.

Date and Time Location Status
Fri 1/15/2016 4:07 am ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS) Processed Through Sort Facility
Fri 1/15/2016 6:55 pm Los Angeles, UNITED STATES Arrived
Fri 1/15/2016 11:17 pm Los Angeles, UNITED STATES Departed
Sat 1/16/2016 11:30 pm Detroit, UNITED STATES Departed
Sun 1/17/2016 5:27 am Toronto, CANADA Departed
Tue 1/19/2016 1:31 pm CANADA Processed Through Sort Facility

Did the postal people even read the label? Hello? I’m  a day’s drive away. No wonder it cost so much to send the parcel. It went for a tour of the country first before coming home. There is a Customs office at the border crossing near Vancouver, BC, just 200 miles from Olympia. I can almost throw a rock to Vancouver. Why did it have to go to Toronto, 2723 miles away?

I do have to give the postal service credit though. After sending the parcel all the way to Toronto, almost on the other side of the country, it only took three days to come back. So from Dec. 28, 2015, it took until January 22, 2016 for this sweater to arrive at its destination. Eleven of those days were spent doing what for me was only an eight-hour drive.

As a friend suggested, if I had known the sweater would become such a traveler, I would have asked it to send me postcards from all the exotic locations it passed as it detoured around the continent.

36 thoughts on “Sweater goes on (De)Tour without Owner

1. Still laughing.

I hope it is very cuddly and well worth the long wait. Just imagine how many postal workers in the US and Canada had to be paid to make this sweater trip a success. Next time I’ll drive the package to your doorstep:)
    ps…I did receive a post card yesterday…mailed from PEI I think..looked like it was signed “love, sweater”

2. Hi Anneli,
    The sweater looks ever so warm and cuddly. Did they ever advertise it as a travelling sweater, not as a travelling-sweater? Those hyphens CAN be important, can’t they? 😉 But I’m glad you finally got it. Hope you’ll enjoy it.
    Have a great Sunday,
    Pit

3. At least, the sweater has something interesting to tell your other clothes.

One day, we returned from Rome without one of our suitcases. It liked flying with Alitalia so much that we were waiting for two months until Alitalia found it.

• Thanks, Sonja. Yes, it fits. I had tried on several things that size in the store and I had tried on one in the store that was a size smaller so I was pretty sure it would fit. I’m happy to have it at last.

4. I would wear it with a turtleneck in yellow or red to set off the black and white design, with black jeans or slacks, Anneli. Just being a friend and prodding you to try it on and wear it sooner rather than later. . . That is the “bossy” kind of friend I sometimes am! Lol 🙂

5. speechless! government services at their Most Efficient! 🙂 your Pacific NW photos caught my eye, as I lived in Olympia/Bainbridge Island area for quite some time before moving to Perth, Australia. Love the heron from the last post. Cheers, Debi