Uplifting

Another year, another haulout. Earlier this year, you may remember that the Captain put on a new propeller while the boat was on the grid. That means it was sitting on a cement pad near shore. He waited for the tide to go out and let the boat settle on the pad. Then he had to work quickly to exchange the props before the tide came in again. At high tide the boat floated again and he could drive off the grid.

Now, weeks later, it is time to do more serious work on the boat to get the propeller shaft lined up and the propeller balanced and a few other jobs. For this work, the boat needs to be in a shipyard, on dry land, where it can be worked on without the pressure of worrying what the tide is doing.

I’m always fascinated by the way huge boats can be lifted right out of the water and parked in a lot.

001

A travel lift drives over this “bay” and its belts will hang in the water.

003

In the photo below, you can see the belts that will cradle the boat.

004

Here is the travel lift, ready to drive alongside the “bay.” Once it is in place, the boat slides into the slot over top of the belts.

002

Then the heavy lifting starts.

newcastle liftout 2015 -1

newcastle liftout 2015

Once the keel clears ground level, the lift drives it over to its place in the parking lot. Braces and beams are put in place to prop up the boat, and then the work begins. Among all the other jobs, the hull is cleaned up. The old sludge is powerwashed off and new anti-fouling paint is slapped on. Long hours of work lie ahead. The boat will be sparkling by the time it leaves the shipyard, but not until the Captain feels his age.

006a

I used to think the 39-foot troller was a pretty good size, but looking at it beside this pleasure boat, it looks quite small. It’s big enough when you have to do the hull cleaning job though.

34 thoughts on “Uplifting

Good morning Anneli,
    It always amazes me: the difference in perception when you see a boat in the water and when you see it on dry land, possibly, like here, with a car next to it. Only then, you get an idea of its true size.
    Have a great time and don’t work too hard at cleaning the bottom of the boat,
    Pit

This year I’m not helping with that job because this shipyard is an hour and a half’s drive from home, and I’m on dog-sitting duty. I drove our truck down there for the Captain to use to run errands, but then I came home again and left him to his fun. 😉

3. Dawn

Interesting! Does all of the rust and green stuff come off with the power washing and cleaning? Does it sparkle so beautifully that the Captain hesitates to put it back into the water?

As my grandson used to say..”I’m eggosted” just thinking of the manual labor involved.

Yes, the green stuff comes off and the new coat of copper paint will keep the sea critters from eating the wood for another year. It really looks very nice when it’s all tiddled up, but the Captain is always in a big hurry to get the boat back in the water because he doesn’t want the boards to shrink as they dry out. Shrunken boards open up seams and we don’t want any leaks. So it’s a job that has to be done relatively quickly. Not much chance of anything drying out these days though with all that rain.

Yes, he does most of it himself. In this case he has the help of an expert on the shaft alignment and the prop jobs, but generally, he does most of the boat maintenance himself. He learned how to do all those things from his first boat, having to fix almost everything on it. Boat school on the job. Fix it as you go. If you don’t know what to do, ask other fishermen or experts on the machinery that’s giving trouble. Try following their advice. When all else fails, hire an expert. He has learned a lot and I feel very confident when I’m on the boat with him (which isn’t often anymore), because he’s very capable and can fix just about anything.

That’s the way my husband is with cars (since it’s his job), and he can fix a lot of other things, too. It’s very attractive, at least to me, when a man can fix things.

5. Pat

This is so neat to see! I’ve never lived near any large bodies of water, so this is all new to me. That’s quite an operation. Maybe you should start taking videos. 😉

It’s a full time job. Even when it isn’t fishing season, you have to work on maintaining the boat all year round. Not a job I would choose but you can’t convince a fisherman that he should give it up.

You’ve got that right. And there’s nothing like the taste of fresh fish. So different from the fish that’s been frozen for a long time and has been to China and back.

It always looks better with the scunge taken off the hull and a new coat of copper paint, but the upper part of the boat will have to wait for its paint job until the warmer weather arrives. (May it be soon!)

This post fascinated me, since I grew up on Lake Erie. I was used to seeing boats for all kinds of uses. There are big freighters, recreational boats and little tug boats, along with much more. I like your husband’s Eden Lake troller, Anneli. 🙂

This shipyard where Gary was, is much smaller. It doesn’t handle large vessels, but I can imagine how mindboggling it must be to look up at the hull of an ocean-going ship. Makes us feel very small.

7. Pingback: Fishing is Hard Work | wordsfromanneli