Baking Bread

I’ve been baking my own bread for a long time. Forever, I suppose. As a child, I watched my mother make bread, and I have always associated it with that warm and fuzzy homey feeling. The smell of bread baking, the warmth of the kitchen, the happy faces of those who bit into the freshly baked bread–a basic anchoring of a primitive nature.

I wrote a post about The Staff of Life last February, after I discovered how to make easy ciabatta bread. (Click on the link if you’d like to see it again.)

I mumbled to myself as I kneaded the dough for regular whole wheat bread this morning, “The staff of life … hmm … people have been baking bread for many hundreds of years.” I got hung up on the term “the staff of life,” and decided to look it up.

A staple or necessary food, especially bread. For example, Rice is the staff of life for a majority of the earth’s people. This expression, which uses staff in the sense of “a support,” was first recorded in 1638.

Dictionary.com. The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Houghton Mifflin Company.http://www.dictionary.com/browse/staff-of-life (accessed: April 27, 2016).

That got me thinking, only some cultures bake wheat bread. Some use corn, or other starches. Then there are those countries that grow rice more easily than wheat. The staff of life is rice for millions of people the world over.

Every culture has its own special kind of bread. I love experimenting with baking them, but I tend to come back to my basic whole wheat bread as the staple in my own family.

001

Today I threw some caraway seeds in my whole wheat bread even though it is generally meant to go into rye bread. I know the flavour will be fine in this batch too.

Do you bake your own bread?

39 thoughts on “Baking Bread

I often did my own bread making, but as you mentioned in a previous comment, one can tend to eat too much of it! I occasionally still make my own bread when I am feeling that “nesting” urge. (Usually on a cold snowy day.) I enjoy adding extra things like flax seed, oatmeal, sunflowers, pumpkin seeds, etc., etc. Lots of fun!

2. Gladys

We seem to be eating less bread/buns/baked desserts as the years go by.I always kneaded the dough for the bread and buns before we were retired. Now I do it the lazy way. I have a bread machine which does everything and the result is delicious. The buns are a little more work but also are yummy. Since we eat less of baked goods now, it is a very special treat when I take the time to bake.

If you like homemade bread, and want to do something really easy, check out the link to a video for ciabatta bread on that other post I mentioned above. It’s the easiest thing! It’s a man baking the bread too, so it’s not as if it’s only moms and grandmothers do it.

Oh, not another baking day that I missed! 😦 I will definitely need to add bread to my dinner tonight. I bought a really nice whole wheat which has more fiber in it. Not nearly as good as yours made by hand and with a dash of love in it! Smiles and hugs. ❤

That’s a good start, David. I think you should have a look at the video on the link I give in the post. It’s a guy who shows how to make EASY ciabatta bread. I made up the dry ingredients for the Captain to take on the boat last summer and all he had to do was add two cups of warm water and he had fresh bread all summer on the boat. Easy! And SO good!

5. marsha nelson

Hi Anneli, The bread is making me salivate. Sitting here reading your posts;inspired to bake Italian again. Thanks for inspiration Your photography compliments your commentary, such a pleasure to read and see! 🌠🌅🌈🌞 Hugs, Marsha Sent from my iPad

6. Ursula Kurz

I used to bake my own bread wen we lived on the Charlottes. Here in the Czech Rep. they are still selling wonderful, self-made bread by the baker. But sometimes I do some of my own bread. I let the bread machine knead it first and then knead it by hand once more. Your dough looks perfect!