Easy Wind and Downy Flake

The snow kept coming, and coming, and coming. It covered the ground and the trees, and piled up on roofs and vehicles. How can it look so pretty while it covers up the food for animals that live out there?

003

Our back patio table is partly under the roof overhang, but you can see which part was exposed to the elements.

015

The bird feeder has been a busy place again today, but what worries me is the potential avalanche risk to the birds. Many of them spend the nights under shrubs, and they scratch for food there. When the huge clumps of snow let go, they could easily bury a little bird. I found several around the yard after the last snowfall which was not as bad as this one, although it was colder.

012

It’s quiet out there and the snow coming down is peaceful, but I find it ironic that this lovely weather is so deadly for many birds. We who feed the birds will save many of them, and “survival of the fittest” will save the strongest, the brave, and the lucky.

I feel quite small and helpless against the power of nature. I do what I can to make my pets comfortable and to feed the birds. Beyond that, I do enjoy the special quality of a snowfall. I had to think of Robert Frost’s famous poem. There are two lines of “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” that I find especially appealing, and which stand out from that poem for me.

The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

I love the sound of the words. They are music to my ears. I wish I had thought of them first. 😉

47 thoughts on “Easy Wind and Downy Flake

And miles to go before I sleep… One of my favorite poems as well. Pretty photos! Take care of your birdies and don’t forget to give them water. 🙂

2. Pat

Looks like you’re going to have to build them a covered roost. Then you just have to get them to use it. 🙂 Been a while since I’ve read Frost’s poem, time for another look. He missed out by not having your photos to illustrate it. 😉

Yes, that would have been great if we could have had a photo presentation with the poem back in the days of our English classes.I think a lot more people would have appreciated poetry if they could have associated it with something visual. The flip side of that coin is that it would have pre-set an image into our heads and we would be less inclined to use our imaginations.

3. Jill Weatherholt

I love that you care for the birds as much as I do, Anneli. Poor little fellas, they try to be strong.
    I’m amazed by how much snow has fallen. Is it predicted to continue? Your photos and the poem are perfect. Stay safe!

Yes, it has been snowing hard for hours and hours and just now it has eased a bit but it’s still coming down. I think it’s half rain and snow and that is making the snow heavy for the branches. There will be breakage, I’m sure. I’ve been watching huge snow showers falling as clumps of let go of the branches. More snow predicted as it cools off tonight. Rain on Friday? That’s a few days yet.
      Thanks for putting on your snowshoes and coming for a visit to my blog.

4. Ursula Kurz

Don´t worry, our little friends have good spots where they can hide,the young ones from last spring learned from the parents. Some don´t survive but most of them do, thanks to the fact that we all are feeding them real good.

5. Luanne

Haha, I’ve had that thought many times: that I wish I had thought of a poetic line or image first. Where did this snow come from?! My goodness, it’s definitely winter!

That’s good! Our birds are having a very hard time right now., It’s STILL snowing and we have a foot of snow already. Hardly anywhere left for them to go, but the feeders are still active.

So, about how many inches did you get? I didn’t think you got heavy snow in your area. I’ve always been under the impression that the Pacific Northwest was mostly cloudy, rainy and in the winter, gets light snowfall … dustings. Do your temps ever go below freezing (32F, 0 Celsius)? BTW, I agree, there is something very pleasing about snowfall. It has grace in its peaceful decent. It displays as art over trees and land.

Well put, Lori. It has grace …. We got over a foot of grace these past few days. Branches are groaning under the weight and many are breaking. No, you’re right. We don’t get much snow here. I don’t think we had any that stayed last winter, but this year we’ve really been hit. Supposedly it will warm up and rain on Thursday, but every time I look at the forecast they push the warmer days farther ahead and it’s more cold weather and mixed precipitation (snow). The birds and I don’t like it.

How strange. We’re the ones getting clouds and rain this year, instead of snow. Although, I’m grateful for the sunshine we had this past weekend. Thanks for sharing this, Anneli. Always nice to learn what it’s like in other parts of the world.

7. Texas Quilting

Sorry I’ve been absent for a while. I’ll probably never catch up! I wish I could scoop up all those little birds and bring them to Texas where the weather is warm and the food for them is plenty. But you’re right – it’s survival of the fittest. So will you have snow for the entire season, or does it melt and come back again?

I wish you could do that and save them all. No we don’t get snow like this often. Many winters we just have rain and wind. This is unusual, and it’s hit us twice. The snow will stick around for a few days and then the flooding will start when it melts later in the week. Meanwhile it makes life hard for everyone. It’s pretty to look at, but that’s about it. Oh, and it does provide a good basis for the summer’s water supply as the snow is slow to melt in the hills.

I think a lot of them die, but the ones that live have many babies in the spring and so it goes on. I’d gladly send you all of the snow if I could. We’re supposed to gt one ore blast tomorrow and then it will all melt in the rain after that. Bring on the rain!

I often wonder how they survive the night and I’m so glad to see them in the morning. But who knows how many don’t make it? Trying to survive in nature can be very harsh.

Your back yard looks like a magical winter wonderland, Anneli! It also makes me want to bake and add powdered sugar to pecan sandies or Russian Tea cakes. Yummy! 😉

I am a little behind on my visits, Anneli!
        Mom and I did eat some cookies I bought at a local bakery, brought up for the weekend before Valentine’s Day. I will send you a message when the pecan Sandies are finished baking, dear. xo

9. Earth Is Ascending

We have heard that Mother Earth does take care of all her creatures including cats living outside so I am sure that includes everyone. Mother Earth was a fifth dimensional being who lowered her vibration to third to allow us all to have life experiences on her. We wrote a blog on who Mother Earth was recently, love and light Scott.