Wild and Crazy

Spring didn’t really happen this year. It was winter right up until nearly summer. I’m way behind in my weeding, but the poppies are telling me, “Don’t worry. We’ll put on a show to distract any critical eyes.”

“Order, Order!” shouts the judge.

“Bring this yard to order, please.”

But the gardener’s brain is sludge,

Toes and fingers start to freeze.

Weeds are shouting everywhere,

“We’re part of winter’s doom and gloom.

Come and pull us if you dare.

But wait, what’s this? The poppies bloom?”

Poppies growing where they like,

Squeezing into any place.

What a pretty pose they strike,

Wild and crazy wins the race.

47 thoughts on “Wild and Crazy

I suppose we did have spring, but it was a very cold and rainy one. No one wanted to be outside. Farm fields were flooded long into planting time. It’s a good thing we have flowers, and it’s also a good thing I don’t have to survive on what’s growing in my garden.

I love your poppies and they really do distract any onlookers. πŸ™‚ Just remember that old saying “Weeds are simply plants or flowers that grow where they weren’t supposed to.” I have to admit some weeds are so pretty, I hate to pull them out. (That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!)

Spoken like a true gardener. We love plants. Just wish they would grow in the right places. But this year, I’m glad the poppies are growing all over the place. They hide the “weeds.”

I love the orange ones (I presume you mean the California poppies), but if you ever get a few seeds of the others, you’ll never get rid of them – not that you’d want to.

Wonderful picture, Anneli! πŸ™‚ And I agree: why bring a yard to order when you can have such wonderful flowers. We have deliberately left a chunk of our property unmowed for the wirldflowers to grow.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Pit

I don’t think they go for them particularly. It’s been so long since we had to put up out fence to keep out off-leash dogs, that I don’t remember if the deer went for the poppies, but it seems to me they prefer a lot of other plants before they’ll go for poppies. Anyway, it can’t hurt to throw a few seeds out there. I have lots to give you if you want to give it a try. Put them out there very early in the spring or even in the fall. They come up very early.

My husband and I are not gardeners, and we do not have a green thumb. Not a plant in my house. However, since we finally are settled and are not going to move again (until it’s time for the old folks home), we decided to try a garden this year. The soil in Florida was like sand, so we didn’t attempt one there. At least here in the north, we have actual dirt. Guess what? We already screwed up. LOL I guess for our first try we should’ve just stuck with tomatoes, but we tried a whole variety of vegees. Rabbits ate 4 out of 8 plants. 😦 We replanted and hubby added a fence around it. We’ll see if this works now.

Also, we had landscapers plant my favorite bush…a lilac bush. It’s too late to bloom this year, but hopefully next year.

On an semi-related note, I may need your help with identifying a couple of flowers.

Poppies always remind me of the Wizard of Oz. Heh. πŸ™‚

Ahhh… the opium connection. πŸ˜‰ I can identify with your “predator” problem. We have rabbits too, and you really have to have a good fence to keep them out. The good thing in our case is that while we had to put a fence to keep out other people’s dogs, it served triple duty because it also kept out the deer and the rabbits. You’ll have more of a chance to grow something if you can keep out unwanted competition. If you want help with plant I.D., just send me a photo and I’ll do my best.

Yeah, we don’t live in the wild like you. LOL We have rabbits, squirrels and chipmunks (2 of those were nonexistent at our FL home). I haven’t seen raccoons around here yet, and hope I never do. We also have a wood fence around the entire yard, so nothing bigger than the above mentioned can get in.

5. Zambian Lady

What a nice poem. Poppies are such colorful plants. I remember seeing these beautiful plants for the first time in Austria and being shocked when I was told they were poppies. My immediate question was “Aren’t these used to make opium?” lol.

Well, it doesn’t specify what kind of poppies are the Wizard of Oz and even if they were opium poppies in the book, you’d have to collect the milky sap from the seed pods and cook it or dry it or something. But I do like the reference to the poppies in the book and how it would make you very sleepy to go through the field. Very “fairy tale-ish” and it adds a romantic kind of tension to the story. Will they make it through the field before they succumb to the magic of the poppies?! I do have some of the kind of poppies they use for opium but they are just starting to open up. In case you missed that post, here is the link to it: https://wordsfromanneli.com/2016/05/24/poppies/

That would be fun to write with. I used to love all the different kinds of ink. I think it was Faber brand in the old days, and there was a turquoise colour and a brick red one that I really liked. Corn Poppy Red sounds great.

This was funny and clever, starting with the “Order in the court!” Poppies come in so many colors but mainly see them in red or orange. Pretty words for cute posies. πŸ™‚ 🌼