Bad Potatoes

Have you noticed that your potatoes are full of blemishes? A few years ago when I first noticed it,  I thought it was just a bad potato year. Then I thought maybe it was the excessive rain we had another year, and I wondered about disease. I kept thinking that “next year they’ll be good again.”  I’m not even talking about potatoes from my garden. These are the No. 1 potatoes that I buy in the store. For several years now the potatoes have had blue bruising.  It’s not getting better. On the contrary, it’s as bad as it has ever been.

I thought it might be our local Vancouver Island potatoes and started buying potatoes from eastern Canada and from the U. S., but the problem seems to be everywhere.

I wonder, if I’d been one of the starving Irish in the years of the potato famine (1845 – 1849), how much of the bad (blighted) potato I would have cut away. I suppose it would depend on how hungry I was.

Do you have potatoes like this in your area? What do you think is going on?

37 thoughts on “Bad Potatoes

1. Marsha

Haven’t bought any like that. I do notice the skins are often blemished but insides are good. Tried to buy Vancouver Island russet potatoes this week, couldn’t even buy BC russet’s. Making first of the season Potato Salad.

2. pobept

Most often this problem stems from potato’s that were bruised at harvest time and is now showing up at your market. These potato’s are generally very old and have been in a controlled tempeture long term storage bunker and are nearing the unsellable stage.
    This problem is most common in potato’s that have been in storage since harvest through winter and spring months before ‘new’ crop potato’s start arriving at your market.
    Try changing the type potato’s you are buying ie. switch from russet to yukon or red potato’s.

Good luck and Happy Gardening

3. Ursula

I buy my potatoes direct from the farmer nearby. All veggies in the superstores are getting worse and worse (tasteless). Maybe you will find a farmer nearby, try it out.

4. Peter Klopp

We buy most of our potatoes at the local Overwaitea in Nakusp. We like the Russet potatoes and they did not show any of the problems that you were describing. Greetings from the Interior!

We have seen this here, too. Not frequently, though. I have no idea what that is. We usually cut that area out, if it’s not too large, and eat the remaining part. IOt seems to depend, though, on the variety of potato. I’ve never seen it on red nor on yellow ones. If I remember correctly, only on russet potatoes.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Pit

I was looking on the internet for info about it and it seems to be more prevalent in wet areas, just like the tomato blight is. And, yes, I haven’t seen it much on the other varieties of potatoes – mainly on the russets. I’m going to buy other kinds at this time of year, when the new ones aren’t out yet.

6. Debra

I don’t mind imperfect fruit or vegetable, but this does seem excessive. Do the produce grocers offer any kind of explanation? Seems like they’d be trying to make an excuse! I’d substitute frozen or canned until it’s sorted out. If you get an answer, however, will you please post again? I’m really curious!

I don’t buy potatoes as much as I used to since I cut back on carbs. However, they always have a blemish or two, just not as many as the one you pictured here. I’d go with Jill’s suggest and get the baby reds. I love those.