A Honkin’ Good Time

Skies are still a bit hazy from the wildfire smoke, but somehow the geese have found their way to the estuary. Many of these birds will move on further south, but many will stay for the winter, putting up with wind and rain, and possibly a day or two of snow. The farmers’ fields will provide food for them with leftover cobs of corn and grain seeds that have missed being harvested. In case of severe frost or snow, the geese have the estuary to find food as the salt water doesn’t freeze.

The arrival of the geese always tells me that summer is ending and the northern latitudes are cooling off already, driving the birds south.

For now, life is still comfortable for them and they chat and preen and enjoy the warm days and nights. Some stretch their wings while others preen their back and neck feathers. A few are resting, some are dabbling at the water’s edge, and the farthest one has his neck stretched up tall and alert. It’s like kiddies’ day at the beach.

Just before leaving, I snapped one more quick picture. When I got home I noticed that one of the geese was flying past the camera just by the tree on the left. Or was it? I zoomed in for a closer look.  You can see it on the next photo.

Here, below, is the flying goose at the end of a skinny branch.  It’s all dressed in leaves. Sure had me fooled.

Mrs. Goose is on the loose,

Chattering, she’s quite obtuse.

“There’s a party at the beach,

And I hear it’s out of reach.

Nobody will bother us,

We can honk and spit and cuss,

Holler loudly as we wish

And the place is one big dish.

Food aplenty ‘cross the way

in the fields  where corncobs may

Still be lying on the ground,

Seeds are scattered all around.

People stop and look at us

But they’re harmless, make no fuss.

It’s just heaven being here

Even though the winter’s near.”

“Honkin’ right,” the gander said.

“Still some pleasant days ahead.”

“Watch your language, Gander Dear,

Bloggers won’t approve, I fear.”

Gander stretches out his wings,

Rolls his eyes and up he springs.

Goosey scurries, much impressed,

Goes to give her mouth a rest.

34 thoughts on “A Honkin’ Good Time

It really looks like te summer is coming to an end for you, Anneli. Here, though, there’s no sign of it yet: it continues to be hot an dry.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Pit

It’s still very warm in the daytime, but the nighttime temperatures are dropping more. No rain in sight yet. But gradually, it’s getting to be fall. I think most of us have had enough of the heat and drought. Too much of a good thing. Enjoy your weekend, Pit.

2. Hans Susser

Love that word – honking 🙂
    Around here we have lot’s of honking all year round – bloody impatient drivers.
    End of summer here means that the possibility and frequency of hurricanes increases 😦
    Cheers !

3. Peter Klopp

Even though I do not like the present heat and the smoke from the forest fires, I am not ready to say good-bye to summer yet. I ‘talked’ to the Canada geese this afternoon and they told me that they will try to stay this winter if the lake does not freeze. Very beautiful poem, Anneli!

4. Lynette d'Arty-Cross

No sign of summer ending here either. It’s really hot and yesterday ash was falling from the sky and covering everything. The sun was such a nasty shade of red. It really reminded me of being near a volcano. Much better today but still smoky.

Great photos. 🙂

Just honkin’ wonderful photos and poem! 🙂 We’ve been hearing the geese every evening for the last week or so now. The late evenings and early mornings are definitely feeling like fall is starting to set in.

I suppose it feels like the end of the good times with all those fires burning and smoke choking us out. All the grass is brown and breaks off when you walk on it. Temperatures are a bit lower, especially at night, and the drought continues, but without that summertime feeling. I’m missing the occasional rain, and hot clear skies in between. Not happening.

No, I don’t, but to be honest, I don’t think it would do any good. There is no good air anywhere, and it would just be replaced by the smoky air if it went through a purifier.The A/C has a filter but that doesn’t do much. The problem is too big and widespread. It would be about the equivalent of being thrown a lifejacket in the middle of the Pacific with not a soul around. Today is worse than it was the day I wrote this post. You can’t see those hills in the distance today.

6. Still the Lucky Few

The geese do herald the end of summer. I’m not ready for that! But have to admit, the plants (especially big trees) are suffering and we need the rain. I try to love all of the seasons, given that the choice is not mine to make!