1 c. cake flour (sifted 3 times?) – all purpose will do too.
4 eggs, separated
1 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice + water to make 1/4 cup
* You can substitute 1/4 c. of coffee and flavouring or other liquid (for the lemon juice and rind) to change the flavour.
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 *
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colour.
- Add sugar a bit at a time while continuing to beat.
- Add lemon water (with rind) alternately with flour, ending with flour.
- Mix well.
- Beat egg whites until almost stiff
- Have baking powder and salt ready to add to egg whites.
- Add them and continue to beat until very stiff.
- Fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
- Pour into ungreased tube pan.
- Bake at 350* for 40 – 45 minutes.
- Check after 40 minutes and possibly turn off oven for last 5 minutes.
- Invert cake pan to cool.